The National Council on Family Relations’ (NCFR) websites and databases are maintained by NCFR, 661 LaSalle Street, Suite 200, Saint Paul, MN 55114.
NCFR recognizes the importance of and is committed to protecting the privacy of our members, customers, and website users.
- What Is Personal Information?
- How We Collect Information
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Sharing of Personal Information
- Information You Post
- How We Protect Your Information
- Opt-In and Opt-Out Choices?(marketing,?email, discussion groups)
- Web Analytics
- Third-Party Websites
- Your Access to Your Personal Information
- Updating Your Information
- How to Contact Us
What Is Personal Information?
“Personal information” means any information providing an identifier of a natural person, such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier, or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity of that person.
How We Collect Personal Information
Personal Information We Collect
The types of personal information NCFR collects from you may include:
Data you provide
- contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number;
- educational and professional interests and characteristics;
- demographic information, including age, gender, ethnic background, and income;
- usernames and passwords;
- payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- comments, feedback, posts and other content you provide to NCFR (including through an NCFR website);
- communication preferences;
- communications with other users of NCFR’s services.
Data collected automatically
- a masked version of your Internet Protocol ("IP") address;
- tracking codes such as cookies;
- your device and browser type, your operating system version, and your language settings;
- your Internet service provider (ISP);
- the website that referred you to our website, or that you visit upon leaving our website via a link from our site;
- the times and dates that you visit our websites or use our apps, and the duration of such use;
- information about areas of our websites or apps that you visited or used, as well as specific content or advertisements you viewed or links you clicked;
- information that identifies the precise physical location of your mobile device, based on your specific consent (we may use your IP address to generally estimate your location without seeking your specific consent – but such data does not provide a precise location).
Data collected from other sources
NCFR may receive information about you if you use any of the websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (e.g. analytics providers, academic institutions) from whom NCFR may receive information about you.
How We Use Personal Information
In addition, we may use your information in the following ways (after obtaining your consent, if required):
- to provide you with information about products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other products, events, and services we offer that are similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about or are entirely new products, events, and?services;
- for internal business and research purposes to help enhance, evaluate, develop, and create NCFR websites (including usage statistics, such as "page views" on NCFR’s websites and the products therein), products, and services;
- to notify you about changes or updates to our websites, products, or services;
- to administer our services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, statistical, and survey purposes;
- for any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain indefinitely all the personal information we gather about members, customers, and users as necessary to fulfill our contract with you. We retain indefinitely certain anonymized information we gather about users for the legitimate purpose of performing website analytics and providing use of our website to all visitors in an efficient, practical, and relevant way.
Personal information will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. Unless information must be retained for legal or archival purposes, personal information will be securely destroyed, put beyond use or erased from NCFR’s systems when it is no longer required.
Sharing of Personal Information
NCFR will not disclose or share your personal information with any unaffiliated third party except as follows:
- where necessary in connection with services provided by third parties that provide us with office, administrative, information technology, production, payment, or business management services, and who are required to comply with this policy;
- where your consent has been provided with a third party, such as an academic institution, school, employer, business, or other entity, that has provided you with access to a product or service through an integration or access code, information may be shared regarding your engagement with the service or product, results of assessments taken and other information you input into the product or service; and
Information You Post
If you post personal information in public and/or social network areas of NCFR’s websites or services, e.g., in online discussion groups, the information you post may be displayed to other users of these services and may be collected and used by other users over whom we have no control. NCFR is not responsible for the use by third parties of information you post or otherwise make available in public areas of NCFR websites. If you remove information that you have made public on NCFR websites, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the NCFR websites or if others have copied or saved that information.
How We Protect Your Information
We are concerned with protecting your privacy and data, and we provide reasonable technical, administrative, and physical controls to secure the confidentiality and integrity of personal information. We cannot, however, ensure the security of any information you transmit to us and we cannot guarantee that your information in NCFR’s websites or systems may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of our industry-standard technical, administrative, and physical safeguards. If you have any questions about security on NCFR’s websites or systems, you may contact us at [email protected].
Opt-In and Opt-Out Choices
Registration forms, webforms, and other areas of NCFR websites where we collect your information provide opt-in and opt-out choices regarding promotional and other communications sent to you by NCFR.
Marketing and Email
We would like to send NCFR members and customers information about NCFR products and services which may be of interest to you. In addition, some NCFR members and customers may be slated to receive newsletters and subscriber emails as a benefit of their membership or customer status.
NCFR members and customers may opt in to or opt out of any or all of NCFR’s marketing communications and emails, except transactional emails (e.g. payment receipts, membership renewal confirmations).
To unsubscribe from NCFR’s weekly email newsletter, Zippy News, please visit this unsubscribe link.
NCFR members and customers may belong to one or more groups that have an online discussion group on NCFR’s groups.ncfr.org platform. To change your email preferences for discussion group email notifications, or to leave a group or unsubscribe from a discussion, please see these instructions.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. And we’ve enabled IP masking to further prevent individual identification in Google Analytics. With IP masking enabled, the last octet of the user's IP address is removed prior to its use and storage.
We use aggregate reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage, improve our web content, and respond to visitors' interests, needs and preferences.
Your Access to Your Personal Information
If you wish to review and/or request changes to certain personal data we have collected about you, you may do so by logging in to your account at my.ncfr.org, or by contacting us at [email protected].
In some cases, you may also have a right to (i) request deletion of certain personal data or (ii) obtain a copy of such data in an accessible format. We will make reasonable attempts to comply with such requests where applicable, but may refuse requests where we are otherwise legally required to retain the data, or the requests are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort, risk the privacy of others, or are impractical. We may need to contact you for further information and we reserve the right to charge a fee for certain requests. NCFR will notify you if your request has been granted or declined, or if exemptions apply.
Updating Your Information
Members and customers of NCFR can update their account information and personal information by logging in to NCFR’s customer portal at my.ncfr.org.
How to Contact Us